[2.8 Beta] Waveform feature

Feel free to ask any question here
KG_WUT

[2.8 Beta] Waveform feature

Post by KG_WUT »

Hey,

could you please provide some infos about the new Waveform tool? What input files it uses?
I tried to load some LAS 1.3 + FWF data (waveform data as external .wdp files), but it can't be loaded (Liblas exception: 'Unhandled PointFormatName id 4').

Any hints? :) Thanks.
daniel
Site Admin

Re: [2.8 Beta] Waveform feature

Post by daniel »

Oh, to load a file with FWF info, you have to load the files with the 'LAS 1.3 or 1.4 (*.las *.laz)' filter (otherwise the default LAS importer based on LibLAS is used).

But this is a development in progress. For now you'll only be able to see the waveforms (if any) associated to each point in a separate graph:
cc_waveform_2D_view.jpg
cc_waveform_2D_view.jpg (51.77 KiB) Viewed 8410 times
New options will appear at the end of the year (3D display, etc.).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
KG_WUT

Post by KG_WUT »

Thank you so much Daniel. I'm very interested in any features including waveform processing and happy to hear about your works on that. I'll be happy to give you some feedback on that features, if this could help you somehow.

What do you mean by:
load the files with the 'LAS 1.3 or 1.4 (*.las *.laz)' filter
?

I'm trying to work with LAS 1.3 (point format 4) and can't succeed. As I know, waveform data are contained only in point format 4 and 5 in LAS 1.3.
Dimitri

Post by Dimitri »

Hi,

the waveform features are developed by Daniel in collaboration with our department (and actually funded by us), but this is still very preliminary and currently under development. If you're interested in collaborating or contributing, get in touch with me (and cc Daniel).

Regards

Dimitri Lague
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

@KG_WUT You have to select this filter in the 'Open file' dialog. Via the drop-down menu where you can select the file type.
KG_WUT

Post by KG_WUT »

@daniel Oh my... I got it, thanks ;)
rcolsen22

Post by rcolsen22 »

Daniel (and Dimitri)

I'm quite curious to try out the waveform feature. Not having any LAS format waveform data of my own, I thought I would experiment with some I found online. It did not work, so I thought I would inquire if it should.

Cloud compare 'hogfather' V 2.8 - Windows 64 bit (not stereo)
I found some LAS 1.3 waveform data on a UK site (NERC Airborne Research Facility (NERC ARF),
But the reader fails to open with a couple of error messages
1) Liblas exception: 'Unhandled Point Format Name id 4'
2) An error occurred while loading 'LDR-FW-BGS12_01-2014-163c-01'; the third-party library in charge of saving/loading the file has thrown an exception.

If you would like to locate the data, the website requires a registration, but it is free, quick, and painless.
http://browse.ceda.ac.uk/browse/neodc/a ... ser/las1.3)
__________--
I would be very interested to hear if you intended to support the Pulsewaves format for waveforms.
__________-
RC Olsen
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

You must use the 'LAS 1.3 or 1.4 (*.las *.laz)' filter (in the file opening dialog).

However you won't go very fare with the current version, as you'll only be able to visualize the waveform as a 2D curve in a separate dialog. All the good stuff will come later in a separate plugin.