Fine adjust reference/anchor/pivot point

Feel free to ask any question here
DanTDBV

Fine adjust reference/anchor/pivot point

Post by DanTDBV »

Hi Daniel

I have been thinking about, if it is possible in CloudCompare, to fineadjust the reference/anchor/pivot point. If it is possible, then I would like to know how.

I am using point clouds, to create the landscape base, for racetracks made for Assetto Corsa.

At the moment 2 tracks, but that could become more. There is a couple of other games, I consider converting to.

I am learning Blender and have decided that, I will cover the full density mesh, with a low poly one.
The result are better than what I got, with a subsampled cloud before meshing.

Working with the full density mesh slows the pc down.
I have decided to cut the mesh, into smaller chunks before exporting. This is much easier done, in CloudCompare than in Blender.

My one issue, is the anchor point.

In the time I have worked with this, I have gotten the anchor point moved, from about 78 km away from the model, to roughly 500 meters away.
I would like to put the anchor point, at the center of the model.

I may be wrong, but my thinking is, that it should make it easier, to reassemble the chunks later.

Is it possible to do this, in Cloudcompare and if, how do you do it?

My base is a LAZ cloud, exported as an STL mesh with CloudCompare. I do the cutting with the reimported STL file.

I know I can do this in Blender, but I would prefer to do it in CloudCompare, rather than going back and forth.

If it is helpful I can upload the base file to dropbox. It is 9 MB.

Active Scaler Field is Classification and Filter by Value is 2 to 2

The progress of my Nisseringen track, can be seen here:
http://assettocorsamods.net/threads/nis ... scape.420/

I hope you will have a great day.

Greetings from Denmark

Dan Nielsen
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Fine adjust reference/anchor/pivot point

Post by daniel »

Well, to recenter the mesh you mainly have to remove the Global Shift that is suggested when loading the LAZ file (but you have first to accept this Global Shift otherwise the local coordinates will be too big ;).

To remove it just select the cloud and use 'Edit > Edit Globat Shift & Scale'. Simply set all the shift values to 0 (leave the scale to 1). Then confirm.

Then to recenter the cloud, simply look at the center of the bounding box in the cloud properties for instance (but you can also pick a point with SHIFT + left click and read its coordinates). Let's name this point P(x,y,z).

Eventually translate the cloud of -P i.e. (-x,-y,-z). Use the 'Edit > Apply transformation tool' to do this (see the second tab).

Now you have a cloud with coordinates centered on P. You can subsample / mesh / cut it and export it to STL in this new coordinate system.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin