points cloud to DXF

To post any request/idea for new functionalities
daniel
Site Admin

Re: points cloud to DXF

Post by daniel »

Actually the cloud is saved in a DXF file in 3D. If you only see it from the top, does it mean that the software you use to load it is only 2D?

Anyway, a trick might be to rotate the cloud in CC before saving it (use the 'Edit > Apply Transformation' tool).

And for the colors, nope, DXF does not handle per-point colors.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
daniel cave

Post by daniel cave »

Thank you,
yes, this has worked out. Well, the idea is to transform a smart phone scan into a "traditional" 2d cave plan. At the moment I try to find out if the real point cloud as dxf is more handy or a picture (with colour information) that is scaled afterwards as a sketch in the background of the plan drawing program.
Florian

Post by Florian »

Hi Daniel,

You mentioned 3 years ago that one should be careful with exporting too many points to DXF.
Do you have an idea about the maximum amount of points to be exported, or how to alter the maximum amount? Cloudcompare seems to crash everytime when I try to export ±260.000 points.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Florian on Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

We use a 3rd party library to export/create DXF files.

I haven't looked at the internals of the library but there might be some limit? (even though 260 000 seems weird for a 'programmation' limit).

I'll try to check on my side.
pcampana_01

Post by pcampana_01 »

daniel wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:24 pm Well, I've added the possibility to save clouds as DXF files (each point is saved an Autocad 'Point' entity).

However don't try to save too many of them as the file will probably grow very fast! And I haven't been able to test the result, I'll let you do it. You can downloaded the latest 2.9 beta version.
Hi Daniel,
thank you so much for the support,
i've some problems to export point clouds to dxf.
i'm working on CC2.12.1 Stereo Version, but i can't find export to dxf command.
Can you help me?
Thanks
Paolo
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Are you selecting the point cloud entity itself, and not the group that contains it?