Segment crashing cloudcompare

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
JonBatch

Segment crashing cloudcompare

Post by JonBatch »

Hello,
I recently updated to the 2.10.2 version of cloudcompare and the segment tool is causing the program to stall out. I am trying to use it with a fairly large data set (55 million points) but I don't remember this being an issue with the previous version. I uninstalled and reinstalled cloudcompare to no avail. I did try the segment tool on a smaller data set (4 million points) and it stalled for a second but then worked.

Is the segment tool just not able to work on larger clouds?
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Segment crashing cloudcompare

Post by daniel »

I just tried with 150M. points and it worked fine.

Are you speaking of the 'scissors' tool? And during which part of the process does it crash? When you select whether to keep the points inside or outside? Or when you validate the cloud?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Phil

Post by Phil »

We see the same problem on some devices.
It doesn't seem to be related to the point cloud size.
- Import .las
- Apply tranformation
- Click segment/scissor tool
- CC crashes or is not responsive
rudi_stra

Post by rudi_stra »

Hello,
I also tried to cut a point cloud with the "Scissors tool". After I started the icon of this tool CloudCompare crashes, after 10-20 min the display of CloudCompare refreshed and it worked well. It doesn´t matter how big the dataset is.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

So it doesn't actually "crash", but it freezes?
JonBatch

Post by JonBatch »

I thought it was crashing it initially as it grays out the window and it starts "Not Responding".
What it actually seems to be doing is freezing the program and if you wait long enough (several minutes if a large data set) it will eventually pop up the segmentation tool interface. The scissors tool, yes.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

So CC can freeze for more than 10 minutes on a 55 M. point cloud?

On my side, with equivalent clouds the cutting time takes 2 or 3 seconds maximum... there's definitely something weird. What configuration do you have? And what OS are you working on? And by the way, how complex is the polygon you use to segment the cloud?
Phil

Post by Phil »

We have encountered the problem on four different machines, Lenovo T50, T51 and P310. All are running Windows 10.
The bug wasn't there in the previous CC version.
Phil

Post by Phil »

daniel wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:13 pm And by the way, how complex is the polygon you use to segment the cloud?
CC is not freezing during the segmentation. There is no polygon. It freezes when starting the scissors tool. Literally when clicking the scissors tool button in the toolbar of CC. The tool itself doesn't even appear. It shows up after the freeze is over.
juandelsur

Post by juandelsur »

Hi, I am having exactly the same problem. My Point cloud is 35M size, and when I start using the segment tool (scissors), the program doesn't respond and I need to wait several minutes to be able to draw the polygon and then apply the tool. I am working in Windows 10, and using the 2.10.2 version.
Any advice on how to solve the problem?