Volume 2.5 - grid export and command line missing

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
adriano

Volume 2.5 - grid export and command line missing

Post by adriano »

Hello everyone,

I'm fairly new in the use of command line on CloudCompare so sorry if I just missed something out, I'm curently working on an automatic process to calculate volume from two point clouds of the same area so I recently updated CloudCompare from 2.1 to 2.7 on the windows device I use so far. I built all my method from manual experiment on 2.1 and reached half of automation through command line on 2.7, the thing is I should now use Volume 2.5 tool and export calculated grid but I can't.

When using CloudCompare itself the section "export grid" disapeared from interface, no matter what inputs I give it or what grid-step I want.
Finally when using comand line, inputs and first functionalities are okay, but now it tells me "Unknown or misplaced command: '-VOLUME' when I try to compute my two Pointclouds with this tool.

Here is the structure of my command so far:

CloudCompare -AUTO_SAVE OFF -O cloud1.las -O cloud2.las -APPLY_TRANS transfo.txt -CROP Xmin:Ymin:Zmin:Xmax:Ymax:Zmax -VOLUME -GRID_STEP 0.5 -SAVE_CLOUDS ALL_AT_ONCE

Actually I was using M3C2 plugin with my manual method before using Volume 2.5 so I was computing core cloud and M3C2 output cloud with Volume 2.5 but it doesn't work anymore even this way.

Would you be so kind to tell me what I did wrong or if Volume 2.5 doesn't have "grid export" functionality now ? Also is -VOLUME still the correct way to call Volume 2.5 by command line ? I can't find any change of that sort in history of updates.

Best regards.
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Volume 2.5 - grid export and command line missing

Post by daniel »

According to the documentation (https://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/i ... _line_mode), the volume grid is automatically exported.

For the other issues (if any?) I'm not sure to fully catch them.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
adriano

Post by adriano »

Actually I face two problems:

- when i use Volume 2.5 manually I can't export grid as a cloud like I used to do on CloudCompare 2.1 and I need this Cloud. I checked and "Export Grid as Pointcloud" disapeared from Volume 2.5 interface between CloudCompare 2.1 and CC 2.7

- when I try - VOLUME by command line it just doesn't work, just like M3C2 it says that the command is unknown or misplaced. I don't know what I am doing wrong since failure happens when I just load my clouds and try to apply -VOLUME -GRID_STEP 0.5 or -M3C2 m3c2_params.txt commands

I tried both way to get point clouds from grid export because i knew it was automatically generated by command line function.

I don't understand because the manual process works on CC 2.1 but not on CC 2.7.

Best.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

1) The 2.5 Volume calculation tool is not that old. The 2.7 and even the 2.1 are way too old on the contrary. The 2.10 and 2.11 versions do have the 'Export grid as cloud' buttons...

2) These command lines options are only available since version 2.10
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
adriano

Post by adriano »

Ok... that's a bit stupid but I was just mistaking version 2.1 with version 2.11 thinking it was 2.1.1. That explains all my problems