Using E57RefImpl library

Any question about other libraries used in this project
Charlesw

Using E57RefImpl library

Post by Charlesw »

I have the E57RefImpl lib compiled. I am trying to run an experiment on a custom program, linked with CloudCompare.
The custom program needs to read the e57 before going to CC.

I was hoping one might be able to give some pointers on linking in an external library to a custom visual studio solution/project.

I've tried ensuring that include directories, library directories, additional dependencies and others were configuredin the project properties but continue to get issues with missing boost of other dependencies. It seems as though the project is not getting access to the E57RefImpl.lib file as that should be including all of that information as it is the built library for the source code.

Any and all information would be helpful. I am also always open to a phone call or email conversation if anyone is interested in helping me learn something new. This would be extremely helpful moving forward knowing how to properly link in .lib files and use them.
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Using E57RefImpl library

Post by daniel »

Hum, not sure to understand what you are trying to do (since CC can already be linked with libE57).

But indeed, if you want to link against a library, you'll have to link also to some of its dependencies as well (and Boost has many libraries). This is why we rely on CMake to manage that.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Charlesw

Post by Charlesw »

Is there a good resource I could use to learn how to use CMAKE, with a focus on using it to link the required libraries for libE57.

I did not realize that even though I compiled the .lib file, I would still need to link in all the dependencies from xerces and boost to my custom program to be able to use that .lib file. I thought I could build that E57RefImpl.lib and it would in itself reference those dependencies and thus I only needed to include that as a reference.

I will start working on learning CMAKE (long overdue) and begin linking in all the required files I used when building LibE57.

To your first statement, I am trying to pull specific information from within an E57 file to generate reports and automated tasks on our end before the cloud goes into CloudCompare for further automated processing.

Any resources you might know of regarding CMAKE tips and tricks, etc would be awesome! I appreciate your help.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

That would be possible if you compile all the dependencies with 'static linking' (static libraries) I believe.

Otherwise you can look at how we 'link' libE57 with CMake: https://github.com/CloudCompare/CloudCo ... eLists.txt

Actually in CC we only link to Xerces. Do we still rely on boost for this library? (we use https://github.com/asmaloney/libE57Format).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin