Feature extraction in CloudCompare

Feel free to ask any question here
atharva papnoi

Feature extraction in CloudCompare

Post by atharva papnoi »

Hi Daniel.

I'm new to CloudCompare and trying to figure out a way to extract all the coordinates of a particular shape (eg. cylinder, sphere, cone) throughout a point cloud into an output file. Is there a plugin available to do the same? If not, can you recommend how to go about changing the source code of the software to achieve this? Any sort of help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Feature extraction in CloudCompare

Post by daniel »

Can you explain your need a little bit more? I'm not sure to understand.

Anyway, it's just a random guess, but you could look at the Ransac Shape Detection plugin?
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
atharva papnoi

Post by atharva papnoi »

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the reply. I've looked at RANSAC Shape Detection, but is there a way to extract the coordinates of the shapes detected by it. For example, if the plugin detects 100 cylinders in my point cloud, can I extract their coordinates into an output file?

Thanks!
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

You can read them from the resulting entities (properties) generated in the DB tree.

But I believe now the command line version will also generate a kind of report? (not 100% sure, it might not be ready yet)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
WargodHernandez

Post by WargodHernandez »

The command line version should be able to output the detected features as individual meshes which are named based on feature type you could get the count pretty easy