Regular gridding of point cloud

Feel free to ask any question here
fuji1205

Regular gridding of point cloud

Post by fuji1205 »

Hi everyone,

Recently I was working in a project to locally compare the changes in height of a point cloud (a scanned terrain), what I need to do it best fit a plane based on a predefined grid (like 10m x 10m), I known that CC v2 have the best fit function, but how can I grid the point cloud regularly based on the predefined dimension? Thanks!!
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Regular gridding of point cloud

Post by daniel »

With the 'Cross Section' tool you can define a starting 10 x 10 m section and then 'repeat' the segmentation process automatically (see https://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/i ... r_contours)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
fuji1205

Post by fuji1205 »

daniel wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:23 am With the 'Cross Section' tool you can define a starting 10 x 10 m section and then 'repeat' the segmentation process automatically (see https://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/i ... r_contours)
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your help. I known that CC is a opensource software, and I would like to iterate the aforesaid process for the entire scan. Is there any way to do the iteration? (something like define the (0,0,0) and start repeating the slicing(or cubing) and lcoally fitting a plane?)
WargodHernandez

Post by WargodHernandez »

There is a way for sure I had to do something similar in a proprietary plugin, so I can't share :(

But I can say that what your describing can definitely be automated, if you can code I can offer some guidance.
fuji1205

Post by fuji1205 »

WargodHernandez wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:12 pm There is a way for sure I had to do something similar in a proprietary plugin, so I can't share :(

But I can say that what your describing can definitely be automated, if you can code I can offer some guidance.
Hi Wargod,

Yes. I am on a trial and error stage in programming my project in python(or even matlab, should be easier). What I want to do is to compare the best fit plane for each "10m * 10m" point cloud and found out the changes in localize relatively. Can you give me some hints?
WargodHernandez

Post by WargodHernandez »

Well, on the C++ side the plane fitting and the sectioning functions from CloudCompare were used, specifically I used the ccClippingBoxTool::ExtractSlicesAndContours() function to section the input cloud(s) into the grid I wanted, and then fit planes to each sectioned cloud with the same process used in void MainWindow::doComputePlaneOrientation()
fuji1205

Post by fuji1205 »

WargodHernandez wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:41 pm Well, on the C++ side the plane fitting and the sectioning functions from CloudCompare were used, specifically I used the ccClippingBoxTool::ExtractSlicesAndContours() function to section the input cloud(s) into the grid I wanted, and then fit planes to each sectioned cloud with the same process used in void MainWindow::doComputePlaneOrientation()
Hi Wargod,

Do I need to program from scratch or is there any shortcut to program on C++ ?