CC crashes within a few minutes

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
Henske01

CC crashes within a few minutes

Post by Henske01 »

Hi there,

Wanted to try out CC and installed the latest stable version (v2.12.3 x64), but whatever I do the program closes after a short period (between 1 to 10 minutes)
I first thought it only occured during segmenting, but it turns out it does also crash during aligning, Translate/Rotate and sometimes after saving a file.
It shuts doen CC without any error message and It only shuts down after performing an action. It will not shut down when the program is idle.

I use a HP laptop: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, RTX2060, 32GB, WIN10. Unfortunatley I have no other PC to check/verify things.

Cannot find an error log for CC, but when I check WIN10 logs it says that cloudcompare.exe shuts down but not clear as to why it shuts down....

Anyone got a clue what this could be?
daniel
Site Admin

Re: CC crashes within a few minutes

Post by daniel »

That's weird. Can you maybe disable all fancy options in the 'Display > Display settings' dialog?

I'm thinking about:
- "Color scale" > "Enable shader for faster display (...)"
- "Other options" > "When moved, decimate clouds over XXX"
- "Try to load clouds on GPU for faster display"

(you might want to disable them one by one until you find that CC doesn't crash anymore...)

We will be very interested to know whether any of these explains the crash!
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Henske01

Post by Henske01 »

Hi Daniel,

I tried your suggestions in three steps and found out that the last one did it..!
However...I then realized that I had not checked the NVIDIA settings for CC. It turns out that during install CC does not show in #D-settings for programs. After I added CC manually to the list, undo the 3 changes you mentioned and tried it out, I was able to work in CC for quite some time and made my first mesch (out of 3 pointclouds)...without crashing. So it looks like CC is stable now!

Thanks anyway for your help!
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Thanks for the feedback.

Definitely, OpenGL support by Intel chipset drivers can be very hasardous...
Daniel, CloudCompare admin