Camera settings input not user friendly

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
Evan

Camera settings input not user friendly

Post by Evan »

Hi Daniel,

Back with more feedback. The Camera Settings dialog is not very friendly at all to input. I am used to setting the Camera center in the world frame. In this case, it appears to actually be set on the camera frame, which constantly changes with rotation adjustment. Also, the rotation center should just be whatever the current Camera center is; with this not the case, any further change in rotation actually translates the Camera center, which is undesirable. Would it be possible in a future release to fix this? The camera center should be set on the world frame and the rotations that get applied should always orbit the camera about its Camera center. Otherwise, it may be useful to have an option to input a 4x4 transform for the world-to-camera frame.

Best,

Evan
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Camera settings input not user friendly

Post by daniel »

Yes, it seems this dialog is simply displaying the standard 4x4 transformation matrix as individual elements (the only difference being that the first column 'Center' is actually the 4th column of the matrix = the 'translation' part).

And these matrices are indeed of the form 'R*P + T' (with R being the rotation, and T the translation). So I agree that the 'center' denomination is a bit misleading, or unclear at the very least. I'll try to update this (but I'll have to change the GUI, so that it's clear that it doesn't work as before).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Camera settings input not user friendly

Post by daniel »

The latest 2.13.alpha version has a slightly different dialog for the camera, that lets you choose whether the center (now on the right side) is expressed with respect to the camera or to the world coordinate system.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin