Error when extracting many setups from a single E57

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
Darius_bd

Error when extracting many setups from a single E57

Post by Darius_bd »

Hi Daniel!

I have a large E57 file (32GB) which has around 500 setups. Each setup is light (ca 5Mpoints) as they come from a Matterport scanner. What I'm trying to do is use CC to extract all the setups to individual files. My PC has 48GB of RAM but I know 32GB can be heavy so I use CC in command line mode.

I run this command to do so:

Code: Select all

cloudcompare.exe -SILENT -O {inputfile} -NO_TIMESTAMP -C_EXPORT_FMT E57 -SAVE_CLOUDS
but it seems that CC is not able to read everything and eventually it throws an error. It manages to read all the pointclouds but it has more problems with the panoramas inside each scan. At some point the cmd shows many errors like:

[E57] Reading new image node (2048) - Skybox 2
[E57] Failed to load image from blob data!
And eventually...

[E57] Unknown error
An error occurred while loading 'cloud_0': the third-party library in charge of saving/loading the file has thrown an exception
After that it moves to show how many points each cloud has and then to save them but it doesnt saves them all. I can see in Windows' Task Manager that all the RAM memory is used and then starts swapping memory so things go slower but keeps for a while until eventually it shows the errors. So it seems it has problems with using virtual memory? Currently is managed by the system and it says that it reserved 117GB for it.

Anything I can do so CC is able to fully read the file and save all clouds?

Thanks!
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Error when extracting many setups from a single E57

Post by daniel »

Well, the part about CC failing to read the panorama blob data is a little bit weird. But let's assume it's because the memory is not sufficient... I'm struggling to understand why saving a file would require additional memory... Maybe something to do with libE57...

Otherwise is relying on the standard OS capabilities (implicitly) to reserve memory. It doesn't know if it's real RAM or VRAM. And if it was able to swap at some time, it means that it's working... until a certain point. Sorry, it's hard to guess what happens.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Darius_bd

Post by Darius_bd »

Thanks for your reply!

Perhaps you have some idea how could I debug it to see where the problem is happening? Or maybe you can point me to a thread were something like this is discussed?

Thanks!
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

I'm not sure how I would do it myself... That's always hard to debug something that make your PC almost freeze!
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Darius_bd

Post by Darius_bd »

That's a shame, but I'll see in the future if this is more likely to happen under some circumstances rather than other. Thanks for your time anyway!