2D Rasterize Crashes Immediately

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
davidevans

2D Rasterize Crashes Immediately

Post by davidevans »

Hello,

I am try to create a a 2D raster of the Z coordinate of a point cloud. Essentially following https://youtu.be/qX8APhMcMuU.

I load an .las file, generate a per-point coloring for the Z coordinate as such, but then when I click the "Convert a cloud to 2D Raster" button or the "Tools->Projection->Rasterize" drop down, CloudCompare immediately crashes. No prompts given. Just dead.

If I look at the systemd logs, I do notice this error:

Code: Select all

CloudCompare: /run/build/CloudCompare/libs/qCC_db/src/ccRasterGrid.cpp:88: static bool ccRasterGrid::ComputeGridSize(unsigned char, const ccBBox&, double, unsigned int&, unsigned int&): Assertion `false' failed.
So it seems like I'm failing on https://github.com/CloudCompare/CloudCo ... id.cpp#L88.

Given that I'm a new user of CloudCompare, and the nearby comment says, "invalid input", there's a good chance there's some user error, but I haven't figured out yet how to massage my input correctly.

I am using CloudCompare v2.12.4 on Ubuntu 18.04. I have duplicated this problem on two Ubuntu 18.04 machines.

Thanks!
davidevans

Re: 2D Rasterize Crashes Immediately

Post by davidevans »

I've confirmed this fails for multiple point clouds and for an Ubuntu 20.04 machine.

I also confirmed this works on a Windows 10 machine, with the same point clouds and my same button presses. I'm more confident that this is a bug than user error at this point.
davidevans

Post by davidevans »

Hey! It looks like this post still hasn't been approved by a moderator. Did I do something incorrectly? I'd like to help find and fix this issue as best as I can.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Sorry, the moderator was on vacation :)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

And strangely I've not been able to reproduce this issue on Windows (with 2.12.4 or 2.13.alpha).

Would you be able to share you cloud with me maybe? (admin [at] cloudcompare.org)
davidevans

Post by davidevans »

No worries! I just shared one of the point clouds I'm using with you via google drive.

I think this may be an Ubuntu specific issue. If I use a Windows machine, I'm also not able to reproduce. But for multiple Ubuntu machines and multiple point clouds, I am able to reproduce.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Thanks for the file.

Are you able to compile CC on your Ubuntu machine? Especially to test the latest 2.13.alpha version?

Cause I really can't reproduce it on my side...
davidevans

Post by davidevans »

Yup, I'll build 2.13.alpha and report back. Thanks for trying!