Problems when save a laz file

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
gonzalezpij

Problems when save a laz file

Post by gonzalezpij »

Hi Daniel

i'm having some troubles when im trying to decrease the size of a las file (1.4), i save the file but when i open it appears a message saying "the third-party library in charge of saving/loading the file has failed"

i have tried with 1.3 and it doesnt show any problem

The issue is that the default version is 1.4 (with problem), how i should do it to keep a stable version like 1.3?

i attached printscreen of the process
Attachments
01 laz 1.4.jpg
01 laz 1.4.jpg (55.9 KiB) Viewed 10268 times
02 result when opening.jpg
02 result when opening.jpg (18.64 KiB) Viewed 10268 times
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Problems when save a laz file

Post by daniel »

Hum, the version should normally be automatically chosen to the minimum viable one (based on the characteristics of your cloud). And the point format will also be chosen based on the features in your cloud (whether it has RGB, a GPS time scalar field, etc.).

If you want to reduce the file size, I don't believe that changing the version will help. But reducing the point format will (see https://www.asprs.org/wp-content/upload ... _4_r14.pdf). Unless your cloud is associated with Waveform data?

You can also remove the 'Extra scalar fields' (last tab of the export dialog) if you don't need them.

Still, I would be interested to get an example file if you can send one to me (to 'admin[at]cloudcompare.org') as you shouldn't get this error when downgrading the version. I've tried on my side with the latest 2.13.alpha version, and was not able to reproduce the issue.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin