Error: 'the third-party library in charge of saving/loading the file has thrown an exception'

If you are allergic to bug trackers, you can post here any remarks, issues and potential bugs you encounter
Caitlin_CEP

Error: 'the third-party library in charge of saving/loading the file has thrown an exception'

Post by Caitlin_CEP »

Hello,

I received an .e57 file and when I try to open it in Cloud compare, I get the following error:

"An error occurred while loading '[filename]': the third-party library in charge of saving/loading the file has thrown an exception"

I know the scan was done on a Lecia 3D scanner and processed in Cyclone Register. I was provided the .e57 file along with a .CRS and .LIB file. I was reading some of the posts and there were comments about having a special character in the name (such as # symbol), and I have no idea how to check for this. I am assuming when it was exported from Cyclone register it was a .las file and then converted to .e57 or there was an error in the export process for the .e57 it self.

Are there any solutions on how to correct this so I can open the file? I have no access to the original/raw data and have to make do with the file I have.
The .e57 file is 1.21 GB and I am using Cloudcompare v2.12.4 (Kyiv)
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Error: 'the third-party library in charge of saving/loading the file has thrown an exception'

Post by daniel »

Can you maybe try with the latest 2.13.beta version? (just in case)

Otherwise, if you can share it with me (admin@cloudcompare.org) I might be able to debug the issue.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
visionbuildcz

Re: Error: 'the third-party library in charge of saving/loading the file has thrown an exception'

Post by visionbuildcz »

Hello,
I have a same issue, when importing e57 received from colleague from cyclone register I can't open it. I tried to install latest beta as you recommended below, but it didn't solve the issue. We tried to solve it with our local Leica scanner provider but nothing helped. Did you find some way how to fix it? Thank you very much for your time.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 16.54.55.png
Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 16.54.55.png (79.34 KiB) Viewed 5049 times
Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 16.55.07.png
Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 16.55.07.png (102.18 KiB) Viewed 5049 times
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Ah, 4billions points is way above CloudCompare's pay grade! There's a theoretical limit at 2 billion points per cloud, but not a lot of machines would be able to load such clouds anyway... I bet we could at least add a warning about that even before trying to load the cloud.

Or support 'slicing' of the cloud in smaller ones, as we do with other formats (E57 and LAS I believe).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin