Python script to perform "Sample point on a mesh"_STL_to_BIN

Questions related to plugins development
mdrahman

Python script to perform "Sample point on a mesh"_STL_to_BIN

Post by mdrahman »

Hi Daniel,

I've been working on a Python script to perform "Sample point on a mesh" operations in CloudCompare to convert a STL format to BIN format, which I normally can do using the GUI. This script works well when I run it through the command line, as it uses the Open3D and Trimesh libraries. However, when I try to integrate this script into CloudCompare's Python script register, it fails, likely because CloudCompare does not support Open3D and Trimesh.

I noticed that other Python plugins from the examples on CloudCompare's Python plugin GitHub page work correctly when uploaded to the Python script register. This leads me to wonder if there are publicly available scripts for similar functionalities, specifically for "Sampling points on a mesh" and "Aligning two entities." Could you let me know if such python scripts are available, or if it's permissible for me to access and use these Python scripts for my purposes?

Thank you for your assistance!

Best,
Mustafi
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Python script to perform "Sample point on a mesh"_STL_to_BIN

Post by daniel »

So first, CloudCompare can open STL meshes, and sample points on them (if that's what you are looking for). And with the command line version. And you don't need to use the BIN format.

But if you really want to do that, does your question apply to the CloudCompy project? (it's a separate project, and it's better to ask the questions directly on its github page: https://github.com/CloudCompare/CloudComPy).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
mdrahman

Re: Python script to perform "Sample point on a mesh"_STL_to_BIN

Post by mdrahman »

Hi Daniel,

Got it. I'll direct any future questions to the CloudCompare GitHub page. Thanks for your help.

Best,
Mustafi