Newbe creating mesh

Feel free to ask any question here
StevenCox

Newbe creating mesh

Post by StevenCox »

Hi all,

I have been asked to take a LiDAR scan and produce a model. Please note that I did not know what LiDAR was a week ago.

Based on research I have done so far, I believe the steps I need to take start with creating Normals, then using the plugin PoissonRecon to create the mesh.

So I took this sample scan I was provided and used Segment to trip it down to just the chair & created Normals.

I then created the mesh.
Screenshot 2024-01-22 101748.png
Screenshot 2024-01-22 101748.png (184.58 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
The mesh is not defined at all and certainly not suitable to creating a model. I have changed a few settings trying to hit a sweet spot with no luck.

Any initial thoughts on what might be the issues? Any basic lessons on Point Clouds or Meshes you can recommend for a newbe?
BTW, I tried using MeshLab but cannot get anywhere with it and documentation is bare.

Any pointers / direction you can provide would be quite useful.

Thanks so much!!

Steven
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-01-22 102912.png
Screenshot 2024-01-22 102912.png (225.74 KiB) Viewed 1570 times
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Newbe creating mesh

Post by daniel »

So my main comment would be that your cloud is really noisy, and computing reliable normals on it is definitely a big challenge.

You say it's a 'scan'. What kind of sensor created this cloud? Do you have a grid structure maybe? (you would need to load it as an E57 or PCD file for instance). That would help a lot.

Otherwise other tools might have more options to create a surface mesh out of this... but I am not a mesh expert (hence the 'Cloud' in CloudCompare ;).
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
StevenCox

Post by StevenCox »

So how do you determine what "Noisy" is? How do I determine that?

I know it is a LiDAR scanner. Hand held I am sure. I have asked for the scanner info and will share it when I get it, but it is on a remote job right now and is incommunicado.

I will get an E57 and try again.

Thanks for the suggestions and information.

Steven
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Sadly not all scanners will produce a cloud with a grid structure, and not all E57 files will embed this grid structure... but that's worth trying.

Make sure to use a recent version of CC as well (2.13.beta ideally).
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Make sure to use the latest 2.13 beta version (10th of Feb) as there was a big bug with the E57 file export introduced on the 27th of January.