cloud registration without scale adjustment

Feel free to ask any question here
kayem12

cloud registration without scale adjustment

Post by kayem12 »

Hello,

What happens to the global shift of a cloud if it is finely registered to another reference cloud with the "adjust scale" button left unchecked?
HeadLess

Re: cloud registration without scale adjustment

Post by HeadLess »

If you register something to something else, then everything will be in the same pos/scale as the something else. So the toAlign cloud(s) will be transformed to the reference cloud.

If the reference cloud has global shift every to align cloud will have the same global shift.
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

The 'adjust scale' button is just to allow the global scale of the to be aligned cloud to be modified so as to better match the reference entity.

If you don't enable this option, then you'll have a truly 'rigid' transformation of the to be aligned cloud, without any modification of the scale (that should be the default option, especially if you work with data for which you trust the scale, such as a good scanner, etc.)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
kayem12

Post by kayem12 »

Thanks Daniel and Headless.

I am still trying to understand the fine registration tool.

This is an image I aligned with the rotate and translation tool, green being the image I am aligning and the RGB layer the reference image
eg3211.png
eg3211.png (1.96 MiB) Viewed 319 times
when I went and did a fine registration without scale adjust, it placed the layer to aligned in a wrong position
3212-fineregistration.png
3212-fineregistration.png (1.39 MiB) Viewed 319 times
and when I chose fine registration with scale adjust, it shrank the image to be aligned (seen peeking out at the edges of the reference RGB image)
321-fineregistrationwscaleadjust.png
321-fineregistrationwscaleadjust.png (1.19 MiB) Viewed 319 times

The images I am aligning are lidar from UAV flights with problematic real time kinematic data.

I really appreciate you sharing your knowledge and am still learning CC and how powerful a tool it is.
HeadLess

Post by HeadLess »

Well i'm not really using cloud compare for registration but when i do then i usually only use the align tool. So i pick my own points then align. Especially in your situation when there is no really good features. It is probably better if you can find few matching points dotted around the cloud.

https://www.cloudcompare.org/doc/wiki/index.php/Align
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Have you set the overlap parameter correctly? Because from the image of the starting position, it seems the overlap is very small. You should set this parameter accordingly (otherwise will algorithm will try to make all the points of the 'to be aligned' cloud as close as possible to some points of the reference cloud.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin