Converting LAS into 32 bit TIFF or raster?

Feel free to ask any question here
Borja

Converting LAS into 32 bit TIFF or raster?

Post by Borja »

Hello Daniel,

Im new to the program and I got excellent results when I tried poisson reconstruction with a LIDAR scan I have. I created normals first and then I used 13 as a value for the octree reconstruction. The problem is: my Lidar does´nt have building´s faces so those show up broken or incomplete and also I feel I need a higher value for the octree or maybe split the point cloud into parts. i also used the algorithms to reduce points and work excellent, but I was wondering if it could be possible possible to export the point cloud values (or the value of the point in a top projection of the point cloud) in a sort of 32 bit tiff containing all the original values uncropped for points that could be used as a displacement map for example to displace a nurbs plane surface in another 3d package. The idea would be avoiding the creation of very dense meshes and also skip the step to generate a high density mesh or many different meshes. I apologize because Im not very familiar with these programs and maybe there is a much better solution for this. Thanks in advance
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Converting LAS into 32 bit TIFF or raster?

Post by daniel »

Not sure about the Poisson Reconstruction issue, as level 13 is already quite high (can you post a snapshot of your dataset maybe?). But anyway Poisson is not really meant to be used with 2D1/2 lidar data (but more for real 3D and closed surfaces). It also has a tendency to make a smooth surface ("C2" continuously differentiable) in-between points so depending on the normal orientation on each side It may create "strange" patches (kind of bubbles, etc.). By the way using clean normals with correct orientation is really important.

For the 'tiff' generation, look at the "Tools > Projection > Rasterize" tool. It should do pretty much what you are looking for. This tool was named "Height grid generation" and its documentation is far from being up to date, so don't hesitate to ask for more information about it.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
TahmidTowsifAhmed

Post by TahmidTowsifAhmed »

Hi,
How to rasterize from command line?
-C_EXPORT_FMT does not have tiff format
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

You have to use the -RASTERIZE command (with one of the -OUTPUT_RASTER_XXX options)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
TahmidTowsifAhmed

Post by TahmidTowsifAhmed »

Thanks Daniel.

It worked.