octree upgrade

Feel free to ask any question here
Luca1988SCENE

octree upgrade

Post by Luca1988SCENE »

hi, i have to split my surface in areas of 10x10 cm and i thought that i could use the OCTREE command. It would be great if CC could estimate the fit planes for each cells. Is it already possible ?
Thanks a lot.
Attachments
rsz_octree.jpg
rsz_octree.jpg (98.37 KiB) Viewed 3479 times
daniel
Site Admin

Re: octree upgrade

Post by daniel »

Nope ;)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
Luca1988SCENE

Post by Luca1988SCENE »

i think that it would be a useful up grade, especially for geologists, what do you think daniel?
Thanks a lot
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

I'm not a geologist ;)

In fact a new plugin should come out in a few months doing this on a kd-tree (instead of an octree). It will also be able to display stereograms, and orientation-based classification.
Luca1988SCENE

Post by Luca1988SCENE »

What a pity !!!Sorry Daniel if i take advantage of you but i have one more question for you. Is it possible to overlap a grid ( a reference sistem) on my fit plane ?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Not sure what you mean here: do you mean a graphical grid (as in Matlab)? In this case there's no such thing in CC (apart from the bounding box ;).
Luca1988SCENE

Post by Luca1988SCENE »

yes a grid like this, but when this new version of CC will come out approximately ?
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

You mean the plugin for planar faces extraction? It has been developed by a semi-private institution and it will be (kindly) made publicly available after they publish a paper about it (hopefully before the end of the year).
jason3d

Post by jason3d »

What is the status on the multi planar extraction. It looks like it could have many uses for meshing, UV mapping and texture extraction. Does it find the optimal plane in a certain volume does it reference the normals? I read in another post there is a version with a higher resolution octree, is this publicly available? Thanks
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Sadly the validation of this plugin is taking much more time than initially expected (due to the difficulty of making the field study for this purpose - the plugin is designed for geological analysis).

Finding 'the' optimal plane is already possible with the 'Tools > Fit > Plane' method. The plugin is meant to segment the cloud in multiple planar regions and to export parameters about each 'face' to a GIS for instance, or to display the orientations distribution as a stereogram. Not sure if will be easy to develop meshing/texturing methods on top of that (but if the code is made public we could re-use it for other purposes of course).

And for the extended-octree version, just send me an email.