Ransac`s Plugin

Feel free to ask any question here
gonzalotap

Ransac`s Plugin

Post by gonzalotap »

Good morning, someone could give some explanation about the meaning of the parameters of the Ransac`s plugin.

Daniel, this question for you:

You can apply with this plugin make the algorithm find only some kind of primitive in particular?

Best Regards
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Ransac`s Plugin

Post by daniel »

Hi,

for more information on the parameters, I guess you should read Schnabel's artcile (I must admit I haven't done it myself ;).

And for my part: Schnabel's code only look for planes, spheres, cones, cylinders and torus. And CloudCompare can display all of them but the latter ( torus - just because I was a bit lazy - I'll try to add the corresponding code soon).

In fact, CC only tessellates the corresponding primitives to generate standard meshes (so the missing code for torus is simply the function that generates a triangular mesh from the torus parameters). But as those meshes are generally much bigger than the actual part of the point cloud they match, those meshes are hidden by default (apart from the planes that can be easily cropped depending on the cloud subset extents).

Best
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
jfhullo

Post by jfhullo »

To give a little bit more infos about this plugin, you can define (only in the code for the current version) which kind of primitives you want to find.

Il would be easier to create a GUI like checkboxes to select which type you want to reconstruct, but this is not currently the case in CC.

Regards,

JF
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

It's (finally) done!

And this is a great addition to this plugin as it let you get a much cleaner result if you only search for one type of primitive. By the way I added torus and cone to the supported list (for display on CC's side).

It will appear on the next release.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
jfhullo

Post by jfhullo »

Wonderful Daniel!!! Thanks a lot.

JF