Point Pair Tool

Feel free to ask any question here
ilovecoffee1125

Point Pair Tool

Post by ilovecoffee1125 »

Hello,

I have two scans that I am using in Cloud. Our team used targets at each location for accuracy. When using the point pair tool to measure the distance between two targets, is there a way to decrease the size of the pin it creates on one of the targets as it covers the target next to it making it difficult to get an accurate distance between the two. We want to know the distance between one target from time step one and the same target in time step two to see how close they really are and potentially use this value to report error. Or, is there a better tool for this task?

Also, can you cut a section of a scan and use the same exact cut for another scan? Will Cloud save parameters for this? The goal here is to use the same "box" for each location when we run the M3C2 algorithm to ensure the covered area is the same at each site.

Thank you,

CS
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Point Pair Tool

Post by daniel »

1) I guess you are speaking about the 'Point picking tool' (with the second icon)? Or are you using the Point-pair based alignment tool maybe?

Anyway, in both cases you can change the default 'marker' size of labels in the Display options. Also make sure you use a recent version as there were issues with the markers in some older versions.

But anyway, if you zoom in, shouldn't the spheres get smaller relatively to the points? Or am I missing something?

2) I fear you'll have to copy the parameters of the clipping box ('advanced' button) and paste them manually each time... If it's an axis aligned box, you can use the 'Crop' tool as well (but you'll have the same problem).

One last option is to use the command line to crop the clouds always inside the same box (at least on Windows, it's even possible to write scripts on which you can simply 'drop' a file (see https://www.laserscanningforum.com/foru ... 805#p53806)
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
ilovecoffee1125

Daniel,

Yes, I am using the second icon on the Point Picking Tool. I am zooming in so that I can see the center of the target which is small compared to the entire scan. The marker size was so large it was covering the target directly next to it.

I don't know that I understand how to copy the parameters from the clipping box. In the past, saving a cloud and re-opening it with all the previous revisions did not seem to work. What is the best way to save all editing so that I may return to it exactly at a different time?

Thank you again for the help,

CS
ilovecoffee1125

Daniel,

The link you attached in the first response took me to a different thread with another link posted by you. That link did not work. Is there another one?

Thank you,
CS
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

1) If you saw the marker size increase when zooming, it was definitely a bug. It has been fixed in the 2.8 version.

2) You can click on the 'advanced' button, then you'll see the box parameters (center and size). You can copy and paste all the 6 values somewhere else. Then paste them the next time you use the tool.

3) You don't need to follow my second link ;). Just read the post by 'max72' explaining how to write a script on which you can drop a file...
Daniel, CloudCompare admin