Compute cloud/Mesh Distance SF Display Params

Feel free to ask any question here
zgoldsberry

Compute cloud/Mesh Distance SF Display Params

Post by zgoldsberry »

Hello,

My company is trying to show our customers that out product is consistent. I am trying to compare two meshes with a tolerance. One piece is our "gold standard", and the other is the piece I want to see if it is in compliance. I want differences of +-3mm to be acceptable (green). The program will not let me change my display range greater then -2.69 +2.84. I want to display up to +-4mm. Is there a way to extend the range?

Thanks,
Zach G
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (168.86 KiB) Viewed 1028 times
daniel
Site Admin

Re: Compute cloud/Mesh Distance SF Display Params

Post by daniel »

Ah, this is the standard way CC displays the color scale, to indicate that there's no point with values above or below these limits.

But if it's just for rendering purpose, you can create a fake cloud next to your meshes with the 2 extreme values, and display the color scale on this cloud instead of the meshes.

Just create a text file with the following lines
0 0 0 -4
0 0 0 4

Then load it in CC, make it invisible (with the 'visible' checkbox), assign the right color scale and make the color scale visible. While make sure the color scale is invisible on your mesh.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin
zgoldsberry

Post by zgoldsberry »

So just to clarify, there is currently no way to apply the color scale I want to the mesh itself correct? I was able to create the scalar field I wanted using the text, but I can't apply that color scale onto the mesh?

Thanks,
Zach G
daniel
Site Admin

Post by daniel »

Well, this should be the color scale you defined, in the sense that for any given value within the actual SF range, the color is the one defined in your color scale. It's just truncated (when displayed on the right side) to the actual extents of the scalar field.
Daniel, CloudCompare admin